History

BDE 1963
BDE 1906
BDE  1916
BDE 1921
BDE school bus 1916
BDE 2008

Schools' Timeline
 

  • The first school in Black Diamond was established November 6, 1885 as District #43.

  • The Black Diamond School District #132 was established August 5, 1901.

  • The Black Diamond School District #160 was established August 1, 1906.

  • The Black Diamond School District #190 was established August 8, 1916.

  • The Black Diamond High School was built in 1921.

  • High School students began to attend school at Enumclaw High School in 1943.

  • The elementary students went to school in the wood building at the same time as the brick building in September 1943 to about 1960, due to a large attendance and needed classroom space. The old wood building was razed after the opening of the new school building.

  • Ground breaking ceremonies were held for the current Black Diamond Elementary School in 1962.

  • September 1963 the current school building opened for approximately 220 elementary students - 1st through 8th grade.

  • The old brick high school was razed in 1963.

  • On July 21, 1975 the Black Diamond District #190 was dissolved and the territory was annexed to Enumclaw School District #216.